What is lung cancer? Lung cancer is a type of cancer that starts in the lungs. Like all our cells, lung cells normally grow and multiply when the body needs to replace aging and damaged cells. When this process malfunctions, cell growth gets out of control, producing tumors and tissue masses that can be either malignant (cancerous) or benign (noncancerous).
Did you know?

When lung cancer cells spread to other parts of the body, the new tumors they form there are made of lung cells. So, even if this new tumor is in the liver, bones, or brain, it will still be called a lung cancer.

How common is lung cancer? One in 16 people in the U.S. will be diagnosed with lung cancer in their lifetime. More than 235,000 people in the U.S. will be diagnosed with lung cancer this year, with a new diagnosis every 2.2 minutes. Lung cancer is a major disease in many countries worldwide, especially in countries with high pollution and where smoking rates are higher. Nearly 65% of all new lung cancer diagnoses are among people who have never smoked or are former smokers. About 12% of new lung cancer cases are among never-smokers.
What are the types of lung cancer? The two main types of lung cancer are small cell lung cancer & non-small cell lung cancer. Non-small cell lung cancer is far more common, making up 80-85% of lung cancer cases, according to the American Cancer Society. Small cell lung cancer makes up the remaining 10-15% of cases. These two types of lung cancer require very different treatment approaches. The types of lung cancer are named for the kinds of cells found in the cancer and how they look under a microscope. Other kinds of lung tumors include : Metastatic lung cancer Metastatic tumors in the lungs Lung mass/nodules image
What is non-small cell lung cancer? Most cases of lung cancer are classified as non-small cell lung cancers (NSCLC). There are three main subtypes : Adenocarcinoma: Occurs in the outer region of the lung, in glands that secrete mucus and help us breathe. Squamous Cell: Occurs on the central part of the lung, nearby or within the two main tubes that bring air into the lungs. Large Cell: Occurs anywhere in the lungs - grows and spreads quickly. image
What is Small Cell Lung Cancer?

About 10-15% of all lung cancers are small cell lung cancer (SCLC), which is sometimes called oat cell cancer. This type of lung cancer tends to grow and spread faster than non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). About 70% of people with SCLC have cancer that has already spread at the time they are diagnosed. This cancer initially responds to chemotherapy and radiation therapy, but unfortunately, the cancer eventually returns in most people.

Not all tumorous growths in the lungs are necessarily cancerous. A lung mass, also called a nodule, is a small abnormal area that can be found during a 3D X-ray or Computed Tomography (CT) scan of the chest. These scans are often done as part of lung cancer screening. Most lung nodules seen on CT scans are not cancer. Sometimes, they’re the result of old infections or scar tissue. As a result, additional tests are often needed to be sure a nodule is not cancer.

Many people have small masses of tissue in their lungs. These small masses are called nodules. A nodule may have been found in your lung by chance.

Since there are very few nerves in your lungs, nodules often don’t cause symptoms. They are often found by chance on X-rays for an unrelated health problem. On X-rays, nodules may be called spots or shadows. Nodules can be caused by cancer, infections, scar tissue, or other health conditions. Most nodules are not cancer, but it takes a team of experts to determine if a nodule is cancer.

To decide if a nodule is cancer your doctors may:

Assess your risk for lung cancer Review images for signs of cancer Perform follow-up imaging Perform a procedure called a needle biopsy
Why You Need to Get A Comprehensive Biomarker Test Due to major advancements in precision medicine in the field of lung cancer, patients are now living for several years because of biomarker based targeted treatments and immunotherapy.
The Benefits of Knowing Your Biomarker Access better, more tolerable, targeted therapies or immunotherapies Know which treatments your body will respond best to Understand which options you should avoid
Do You Already Know Your Biomarker?
Take this quick survey to get your own custom treatment guide to see all the current Food and Drug Administration-approved drug options based on your biomarker.

Share this page